Sunset Over the Mekong River

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sounds of Christmas-the Shepherd

One of the sounds both Ingrid and I associate with Christmas is that of the bells ringing as the angels twirl around powered by the heat of the candle flames.

This Christmas decor is one of the few things we kept as Christmas memories when we got rid of most of our belongings last year in preparation for moving overseas.  And because we hope to make that move soon, this may be the last time we enjoy the melodic sounds this side of the Pacific Ocean for a while.

As Christmas draws near, we think of the sounds the angels made on that first Christmas as they announced the birth of Jesus to a bunch of rugged shepherds.

At once the angel was joined by a huge angelic choir singing God's praises:
Glory to God in the heavenly heights, Peace to all men and women on earth who please him.
Luke 2:13, 14 (MSG)


And so this bunch of shepherds leave their sheep to go check out this newborn child lying in a feed trough somewhere in the town of Bethlehem.

Would I have done that?  Would I jettison my tough shepherd image to go see a cute little baby boy?

These shepherds did.  And in so doing they met the ultimate shepherd.  The one who would one day gently lead millions of sheep.

14 "I am the Good Shepherd. I know my own sheep and my own sheep know me.
15 In the same way, the Father knows me and I know the Father. I put the sheep before myself, sacrificing myself if necessary.
16 You need to know that I have other sheep in addition to those in this pen. I need to gather and bring them, too. They'll also recognize my voice. Then it will be one flock, one Shepherd.
17 This is why the Father loves me: because I freely lay down my life. And so I am free to take it up again.
18 No one takes it from me. I lay it down of my own free will. I have the right to lay it down; I also have the right to take it up again. I received this authority personally from my Father."  
John 10:14-18 (MSG)


So as I listen to my Christmas chimes this year, I will remember the good shepherd who was born that day and who leads me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment