Sunset Over the Mekong River

Monday, October 31, 2016

Dust Storm

On a chilly December morning several years ago, I joined several co-workers in Twenty-nine Palms, California to help with some soil sampling.  We gathered in the office while it was still dark and then headed out to the sites we would be working at.  Each soil scientist had their own vehicle as we were traveling to different places.

It was still dark when we crossed over the mountain and dropped down into the valley.  The wind was blowing fiercely and as we approached the playa (dry lake bed) visibility began to drop from the blowing dust.  At one point, I could barely see 10 feet ahead of me.  I remember thinking how once in my youth I was driving in fog so thick, I ended up turning off my headlights and sticking my head out the window. But since this was dust, not fog, it didn't seem like a very good idea.

What is interesting though, when I looked up, I could see the stars.  They were a bit fuzzy from the dust, but there they were.  I'm thinking, even though the dust is blowing so thick, one would still be able to find one's way using the stars.


Dust Storm in California
(Photo by Kerry Arroues)

This past year I have experienced the worst dust storm I have ever encountered since becoming a Christian.  While I can't go into details, it has been a very dark time for me.  Many were the days I wanted to quit Thailand.  Many were the days I wanted to quit my organization.

But I didn't want to quit God--because when I looked up, I could see the stars.

I remember even darker periods before I became a Christian.  Then I could not see the stars when I looked up. There was only hopelessness and despair.

But this time, even though the path was murky and going forward was difficult, there was hope because God was there.

The good news is that the wind and the dust are beginning to settle.  A retreat last week provided opportunity to work through some things and for the first time in a long while I finally feel "normal".  (Normal for me, that is, I'm not sure anyone else has ever thought of me as normal.)

I'm grateful for the many great people in my organization that were patient with me in this process and helped me focus on the stars instead of the dust.

I look up to the mountains—does my help come from there?
My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!
He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber.
Indeed, he who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps.
The LORD himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade.
The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night.
The LORD keeps you from all harm and watches over your life.
The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.
Psalm 121:1-8 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you've been having a struggle - but I know you well enough to know you will be stronger for having been through it. Looking forward to some family time soon. xo

    ReplyDelete