Sunset Over the Mekong River

Friday, January 20, 2017

Puzzling

We used to put together a lot of jigsaw puzzles as children.  Typically we would do this at Christmastime.  Invariably, someone would get a puzzle for Christmas and then we would all work on it over Christmas break.

My earliest childhood memories involve jigsaw puzzles.  We had a set of children's jigsaw puzzles with Disney themes, and I remember about age 4 sitting on the purple rug in our living room assembling a "Lady and the Tramp" puzzle.

We've not done a lot of work on jigsaw puzzles as adults, but these past two months have been an exception.  When we were in Connecticut, we found a small one (300 pieces) at my sister's house, which had never been opened, to put together.

Then, when we were in Canada, I borrowed a few puzzles from a cousin.  The first one I did was particularly hard because all but 5 edge pieces (as well as two other pieces) were missing.


Barrhead Scenes
Hard to assemble with most edge pieces missing

We had three puzzles to work on, but after two (1000 pieces each), I was ready for a break.

Now that we're back in California, our hosts have opened up a puzzle that we are working on.

So why do I write all of this.

Right now, were are in the process of discerning what our next assignment, will be.  We don't know what it will be yet, but we are narrowing down the options.  It's all about finding the right fit for us.

There may be some options that are almost a fit for us, but not quite right--like the piece in the puzzle pictured below.


Puzzle misfit
Not Quite the Right Fit


Last October, at a conference, someone spoke a word over us.  Without knowing our situation, she said, "You are in the right puzzle.  You fit in the puzzle you're in--you don't need to look for a different one."

When we first heard that, we were puzzled, to say the least.  It did not make sense to us at the time.  But it seems like now it is beginning to make more sense.

We are thankful as we go through this process of discernment that the Lord is faithful to guide us.

Show me the right path, O LORD;
     point out the road for me to follow.
Lead me by your truth and teach me,
     for you are the God who saves me.
All day long I put my hope in you.

Who are those who fear the LORD?
     He will show them the path they should choose.
They will live in prosperity,
     and their children will inherit the land.
The LORD is a friend to those who fear him.
     He teaches them his covenant.
Psalm 25:4, 5, 12-14




No comments:

Post a Comment