Sunset Over the Mekong River

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Bite Off More Than You Can Chew

Indeed, with your help I can charge against an army;
by my God's power I can jump over a wall.
Psalm 18:29 (NET)

Recently, a fairly large moth landed on the outside of our window screen.  With its wings spread, it was about 2 inches across.


Unidentified large moth a1

Nearby was a baby gecko.  This gecko was looking intently at the moth, trying to decide if it would try to eat it or not.  If it was an adult gecko, it would be a no-brainer.  But it must have decided it couldn't handle the big moth, and it went off in search of other prey.

Gekko gecko (Linnaeus, 1758) Gekkonidae-Tokay, Gecko, Calling gecko-ตุ๊กแก


The Bible warns us that if we are going to do something, we should count the cost.  Jesus, when he talked about the cost of following Him, said, "If you wanted to build a building, you would first sit down and decide how much it would cost. You must see if you have enough money to finish the job." (Luke 14:28, ERV). In modern terms we might say, "don't bite off more than you can chew."

But when it comes to serving God, the concept seems to be more like, "don't bite off more than God can chew."  God is the shepherd who cares for the sheep who are powerless against the enemy. We read in Ezekiel,  "I myself will tend my sheep and give them a place to lie down in peace, says the Sovereign LORD. I will search for my lost ones who strayed away, and I will bring them safely home again. I will bandage the injured and strengthen the weak. But I will destroy those who are fat and powerful. I will feed them, yes—feed them justice!"  (Ezekiel 34:15-16 NLT)

There are many stories in the Old Testament when Israel, acting in obedience to God's commands, was successful in defeating much larger armies.  An example is Gideon, who with 300 men defeated the combined armies of the Midianites and Amalekites. (Judges 7)

David was confident that having God on his side gave him an advantage over an army that outnumbered his. He writes, "He will rescue me and protect me from those who attack me, even though they greatly outnumber me." (Psalm 55:18 NET)

Biting off more than one can chew seems to be the norm for people who follow Jesus.  After all, if I do only those things I can do by my own abilities, then I can take credit for it.  But if, in obedience to God, I attempt more than I can do, then God gets the glory.  As Paul writes, "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."  (2 Corinthians 12:9-10 ESV)

I can't impress people very much with the things I can do in my own power.  But if I allow God's power to work through me, then great things can happen. As Paul writes:

"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong."  (1 Corinthians 1:27 NIV)

I admit, that sometimes my faith is weak and I'm not willing to step out and take risks.  Or sometimes I just don't want to give up control.

God, give me the faith to take risks in obedience to your command.  Help me to bite of more than I can chew when it is appropriate.



No comments:

Post a Comment