Sunset Over the Mekong River

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Isaac

One of my life mottoes is:

Take life very seriously

    but

        don't take yourself too seriously
 
God is never ceasing in doing important work in this world.  But we should not be so proud as to think He cannot accomplish His work without us. We are not indispensable. (Pardon the double negative any readers for whom English is not one of your primary languages.)

Unfortunately, for the past while I have had a hard time abiding by that motto.  I went through a period of time where laughter was mostly absent from my life.  It was no longer my norm.

Many years ago lived a woman named Sarah.  Already almost 90 years old she was childless and for her that was no laughing matter.  One day she overheard an angel say she would have a child.  "What a joke", she snickered.  But the "joke" was on her, and she gave birth to a son.  She named him Isaac, which means, "he laughs" (Genesis 18:1-15; 21:1-7)

I'm grateful that this past week I have had plenty of Isaac moments--I've been able to let down my hair and bellow out laughter on all kinds of occasions.  I've laughed at myself.  I've laughed till I cried while watching a movie.  I've laughed while reminiscing with others.

It helps to have friends and family who can laugh with you.

Life is not a joke.  But it doesn't mean there is not time for a laugh at the appropriate time--a time to let your hair down and have some fun.

Letting Hair Down
Letting Down my Hair
(I had a hard time keeping a straight face for this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment