Sunset Over the Mekong River

Friday, December 29, 2017

Overcoming Obstacles

So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 NLT

One of the things I enjoy doing in Phon Phisai is teaching guitar.  I've had several people show interest in this, by my most faithful student has been Kung Nang.

Teaching Guitar

It's been a challenge for Kung Nang to learn guitar.  I thought the biggest obstacle would be her tiny hands.  But that has not been so much of an issue.  Instead, there have been two main obstacles.

First, and this is true for many of us, the biggest obstacle we have to overcome is ourselves.  Lack of confidence and slow progress can cause us to get discouraged.  Several times, Kung Nang would say "I can't do that." I would tell her not to say, "I can't," but instead to say, "I can't do that yet" or, better still, "I can!"

The second obstacle I discovered Kung Nang was facing was that one of the reasons for her discouragement has been family.  One time while we were practicing, her mother came in and was talking with Ingrid.  Her mother said, in her hearing, something like, "she should quit trying to learn guitar, she is so slow in learning."

To help Kung Nang overcome these obstacles, we've had to offer a generous supply of encouragement.  A turn around came a few weeks ago.  Normally in our church services, we have an opportunity to give thanks to God.  Often—based on the amount of people who share during these times—it seems people have little to be thankful for.  But this time Kung Nang spoke up, "I thank God that I am learning to play guitar well!"  I had a hard time holding back my tears when she said that.

Earlier this week was our church's first ever Christmas outreach. I was feeling a bit run down because of a lack of sleep induced by a cold.  But I managed a small burst of energy that lasted through the celebration.  Part of what kept me going was looking forward to the closing songs, to be sung in English (and a little Spanish), by some of the girls from the church.  Kung Nang played guitar publicly for the first time for two of the songs.  This was an encouragement not only for her, but for all of us.

Christmas Outreach
The girls singing the closing songs for our Christmas celebration.

We all face challenges in our lives.  At these times it is wonderful if someone comes along and cheers us on.  And how difficult it would be if people kept yelling, "Loser! You can't do that!"

Churches face challenges as well, especially in places like Phon Phisai where there are so few believers.  A lot of what the people need, then, is encouragement, and this is a major part of what we do.  Sometimes, though, we inadvertently say or do things or even behave in such a way that causes discouragement.

God, make us aware of how or words and actions affect others. Help us to identify those things that might be a source of discouragement to others and replace them with things that would cheer others on as we try to live out our lives together for Jesus.



1 comment: