Sunset Over the Mekong River

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

For Rent?

As I was driving into Kamalasai from the north, I was taken aback when out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of a sign รับเช่าพระ which translates Phra for Rent.

Rent a Phra มีพระให้เช่า 1
Phra for Rent Sign


"Phra" is a word that carries a lot of different meanings, but one of the more common ones is to refer to monks. So my brain quickly interpreted this as "monks for rent," and I was a bit stupefied. Is this some sort of temple prostitution being advertised? Which would be really weird because it it not really a thing in Thailand. It would even be against the teachings of Buddha. So there had to be some other meaning.

The Thai language has a very rich vocabulary and there are often many ways to say the same thing. So to me it is odd that they have words like Phra that have so many different connotations. So, on another day, I went by on my bicycle and looked more closely at the sign. There were images of amulets on the poster. Then I understood the meaning—someone was renting out religious charms. There are other words they could have chosen to be more clear about this meaning, but I guess thay chose Phra because it is the shortest.

The use of amulets is quite common in Thailand, particularly among men. Most people have at least one amulet hanging around their neck. Some people have so many amulets, I wonder how they keep their head up straight against the weight of them.

People believe that amulets have special power to protect one from dangers and hazards of various types. There are magazines dedicated to the subject where one can research which amulets can be used for particular types of protection. These pendants can be quite expensive, especially for a charm that was worn by a particular person that protected that person from harm. Or maybe the charm has special powers that were given to it by a monk who prayed an incantation over it.

Amulet vendors are everywhere and it is not unusual to see someone studying a pendant under a magnifier trying to determine if it is genuine.

Bangkok-Vendors near Wat Arun
Amulets for Sale


Since powerful amulets can be quite expensive, it makes sense that someone would make a business renting them out. Someone might want some special protection for a certain event. Or maybe they just need to impress someone in particular with their choice in amulets.

It can be easy to ridicule people for such superstitions, especially for someone like me who grew up in a religion that didn't use much in the way of symbols. I even struggle sometimes with the way that Christians use crosses.

The Bible is full of prohibitions regarding the use of idols—images resembling people, animals, birds, or mythical creatures. So it is interesting to hear people in Thailand say that one of the reasons they don't like Christianity is precisely because it doesn't have the idols. The are many people who want something that they can look at or touch. It is part of what makes their religion real for them.

The writer of Hebrews tells us: Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Hebrews 11:1-NIV)

There is a saying that goes, seeing is believing. What makes Christianity difficult for some is that it reverses this to something like, believing is not seeing.

Since I grew up without the use of idols or amulets, it is easy for me not to depend on them. But it must be really hard for those people whose culture is full of statures and images and charms worn on the body. I really can't imagine what it must be like for them to believe in a God they cannot see. But one thing I do know is that when I put my trust in the One I cannot see, Jesus Christ, His presence became very real to me, as real as any statue that I can touch with my fingers.

Thomas, one of Jesus' disciples, had difficulty believing that Jesus rose from the dead. Then, when he finally saw Jesus, he believed the resurrection had actually happened. Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (John 20:29-ESV)

There is no need for us to buy or even rent a charm or statue. We need only put our faith in the One who died on the cross and rose again. We may not see Jesus, but He is real, and He is alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment