Sunset Over the Mekong River

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Navigation

We've been back in North America almost half a year now and we have most of our boxes unpacked. It's kind of fun, finding some of the things we've kept stored away in various places over the years. One of the things I've found is compasses. Four of them. Each with their own story. I'll begin with the oldest one.

This first compass folds shut like a pocket watch, locking the needle in the process. It is one that had been my father's. It appears to be an old military compass because it is stamped "US" on the top. It was a bit grungy when I re-found it, so I polished it up a bit.

Compass b1
Old Military Compass



Compass b2
Old Military Compass



The second compass is an old boy scout compass, which I've had since the 1960's. This one has a ruler base, which allows for tracing lines on maps.

Compass e
Boy Scout Compass


The third compass is just a cute souvenir of Thailand—a carved turtle that opens up to show a compass.

Compass c1
Turtle Compass



Compass c2
Turtle Compass


The last compass is a more professional version. This is a newer one I bought to replace the one I originally purchased when I was studying forestry—that one developed a bubble in its liquid-filled center, which made it hard to use. The original one had an aluminum bezel similar to the Boy Scout compass, but now they have tried to save a few bucks by changing to plastic.

Compass d2
Silva Compass with Mirror


This compass has a few features that make it more useful than the others. First it is liquid-filled. This keeps the needle from shaking so much so that it is easier to use. The second feature is the mirror. By partly folding the compass, you can line up the view of you destination in the notch and the line with the compass to make a more accurate sighting. The third feature is an adjustment for magnetic declination. Since compasses point to magnetic north, they need to be corrected to true north. This declination was typically printed on the bottom of topograpic maps, but magnetic north has been shifting a lot in recent years, so it is best to check online for current values.

This compass differs from my old one in that it reads azimuth where my old compass used bearings. (Back in the day, foresters measured directions in bearings and distance in chains, so I became adept at using those systems. You can learn about the difference between bearings and azimuth here.)

Compass d3
Silva Compass with Mirror

These days, people tend to use GPS units for navigation. Both the compass and GPS have limitations. A compass, by itself, can tell you which way is north, but it can't tell you where you are. A GPS device alone can tell you where you are but can't tell you which way is north (unless you are moving, then it can calculate it. Some devices these days will also have a built in digital compass.) For either of these devices to be useful, you need a map. A compass is used with a paper map and a GPS unit typically uses a built-in digital map. Without a map of some kind, we can have very precise information as to where we are, but we may not know where we need to go or the best way to get there.

I am a fan of paper maps, and I have lots of them. But I am okay with both paper and digital maps. In my old job, I used to produce both kinds. One of the things I missed about my old job was access to high-end map software and and spatial data.

But more important than our physical location is the direction we want to go with our lives. Where do I want to end up? How do I get there? To answer those questions, our "map" might consist of counselors, edcucators or self-help books.

We may also think about what are our ultimate goals in life. What kind of person do I want to be? How do I want to be described on my tombstone? Where do we want to end up when this life is over? Which map do I use for these things?

For myself, my goal in this life is to be more like Jesus. For that, my map is the word of God, the Bible.

David prayed,
    Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love,
for in you I trust.
    Make me know the way I should go,
for to you I lift up my soul.

Psalm 148:3 (ESV)

and also,
    Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Psalm 119:105 (ESV)

And if our desire is to go to heaven, then we need as our map the words of Jesus:

1“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4And you know the way to where I am going.” 5Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:1-6 (ESV)

A compass is good. A GPS unit is useful. But without the right map, we can't get to where we want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment