Sunset Over the Mekong River

Sunday, September 15, 2024

Communion Song

Sometimes when putting a song together, the words come first and the tune follows sometime in the future. Sometimes the words and tune come at the same time. This one is different, as I put the words to an existing tune. The tune I borrowed from a song to my first girlfriend which I wrote in late 1980. While that relationship didn't last, I liked the chords. I don't remember when I acutually wrote a communion song to go with the melody, but at some point in the ensuing 20 years it happened as the first dated copy I have is from 2003.



And when (Jesus) had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. (1 Corinthians 11:24 KJV)



Communion Song
©Edd Russell, Fresno 8/2003

VERSE 1
C2                                      FM7  FM7/E-FM7/D
    This bread You give, O Lord,
C2                                 FM7   FM7/E-FM7/D
   Your body broken for me
G7/B                         G7/A-G7        G7/A
Though I’m the one who’s broken
FM7                             C2 C2/D-C2/E
In You I’m made complete


CHORUS
F                                       G
    You gave Your life for me
F                                 C-C/B-Am
    Gave it up on that tree
                                 Dm-Dsus-Dm-D2-Dm-Dsus
Now I give You my life
Dm                          C2-FM7 FM7/E-FM7/D-C2
    Take it from me now


VERSE 2
C2                                   FM7      FM7/E-FM7/D
    This cup You give, O Lord,
C2                                  FM7      FM7/E-FM7/D
    To wash away all my sin
G7/B                                G7/A-G7       G7/A
Though I still stumble all the  time
FM7                                C2      C2/D-C2/E
You are there to pick me up

CHORUS 2
F                                           G
    You shed Your blood for me
F                                     C-C/B-Am
    Poured it out on that tree
                                 Dm-Dsus-Dm-D2-Dm-Dsus
Now I give You my life
Dm                           C2-FM7      FM7/E-FM7/D-C2
     Take it from me now

No comments:

Post a Comment