Sunset Over the Mekong River

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Justification

Recently, I read an article about a televangelist who said that God told him he needs to get a 54 million dollar jet (to augment his other 3 aircraft).

In asking for money, he told his listeners that Jesus "wouldn't be riding a donkey."

Mind you, Jesus didn't actually own a donkey, he borrowed one—once—when he went into Jerusalem the last time to be crucified.

I don't know whether God actually told this televangelist to buy a plane or not.  That is not the point of this blog.  What I wanted to point out was his use of justification—the reasons why he has to have this particular jet.

Here are a couple of reasons given, according to the article:

"Standing beside framed pictures of his current fleet, he said that the jet he bought 12 years ago was no longer sufficient for his ministry because he could not fly non-stop, meaning he had to pay "exorbitant" refueling costs."

 (It's going to take a long time to recover the cost of the plane in saved refueling costs. Nor would we want to consider that even flying first class commercial would be a lot cheaper.)

"Mr Duplantis justified the request by saying that Jesus had told people to "go into the world and preach the Gospel to every creature, now how we gonna do that? I can't live long enough to travel by car or by ship or by train, but I can do it by an aeroplane"."

 (Mind you, I don't recall any scripture directed at Mr. Duplantis, specifically, that this was his job. )



As I thought about my response to these justifications, I was reminded that as I pointed my finger at this man, I had several fingers pointing back at myself.  How often do we have to try to come up with "excuses" to do the things we do.  Sometimes we want to justify acquiring something or doing something we know deep down is not necessary or commanded by God.  Sometimes we are deceiving ourselves with our excuses, we may actually think that God wants us to do something that perhaps He does not want us to do.  Sometimes, God may actually want us to acquire goods or services for our ministries and there may be a very good reason to spend more money on a better product or service.

It's a challenge to honestly evaluate our decision-making, because advertisers are very good at coming up with all the reasons why we have to have the product they are hawking.  Plus its good for the economy: if I keep up with all the latest gadgets then all the industries involved in making and marketing the products do well and the economy keeps growing.  "Yeah me! I'm helping keep the economy strong!" I can always absolve my conscience by giving away my old iPhone to a needy person. (I don't actually own an iPhone, but you get my point.)

I would suggest we need to pray about procurement related decisions, but it may not be a good idea.  Why pray if we've already made up our minds and aren't willing to truly hear from God?

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the heart. (Proverbs 21:2 ESV)

 It's probably good to have other people in your life to help you with these kinds of things. As we read in Proverbs: The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. (Proverbs 12:15 ESV)

While it might be easier to condemn others for the choices they make, it is probably more important that we examine our own hearts and our own choices.  I don't want to be like the ones Paul addressed: Therefore, anyone of you who judges is without excuse. For when you judge another, you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the same things. (Romans 2:1 HCSB)

And while I think the person mentioned above is probably in the wrong, I don't know for sure, and he will have to answer to God for his actions not to me.  I'm sure others judge me as well, but I am not trying to please others, but God.  However, I do well to listen to my critics, because perhaps they may be right and perhaps God is speaking through them.

I've gotten off track before and I'm thankful for those who have gently and with humility (not with a judgmental spirit) helped me back onto the right track. As Paul writes, "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. " (Galatians 6:1 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment